Thursday, September 20, 2012

Interview with Anthony Pucci of DTFamous!

Let me first start off by saying that all of my interviews will be non biased. Friends or not with anyone I interview, I will always give my honest opinion when it comes to the music.

Today I sat down with Anthony Pucci for an hour and a half to discuss the ins and outs on this local favorite. I had been wondering what all of the buzz was about and why I keep seeing cars with DTFamous stickers on their windows.....This is what I found out:

Anthony is a poet before a musician. From a young age he wrote poetry, mostly having to do with love. It came naturally to him. His love for poetry first transcended into music in 1999 when he lived in Florida. You may or may not recall a song from that time period called "Got Rice?" It was parody type asian pride song laid down on top of the beat from Tupac hit "Changes". Anthony and his friends made a song answering to that track. Their song was called "Got Fries" and it was a caucasian pride song. "Got Fries" doesnt sound like the most clever thing I have ever heard of, but they were 13 year old boys. I would actually love to hear the lyrics lol. I did find the "Got Rice" track and the video will be displayed at the bottom of this article.

It seems these days that Anthony has come a long way from 8th grade love poems and parodies. Now he seems intent on delivering positivity through hip hop. While he cannot speak for the other members in his group, Anthony's lyrics are always clean. When asked what it is all about for him he says "If I can catch somebody's attention and make something positive out of it, then thats what Im going to do with it." He does not, however, discriminate against artists who do use profanity. Recently the national act Nappy Roots came to town and DTFamous was asked to be the opening act. Nappy Roots does use profanity, but Anthony still said that opening for them was a great opportunity that he is glad that he didnt miss out on. I was at this show myself and I must say it was all around amazing. At one point during the Nappy Roots performance the members had lit a blunt (marijuana in a cigar wrapper) and passed it around the stage and in the audience. Anthony excused himself to the other room while this was happening because even though he does not judge other people for their lifestyle choices he chooses not to be present during. He also does not drink.

As for his personal taste in music, he says he likes everything as long as its not hardcore. He doesnt enjoy any screaming to the point that he cant understand whats being said. Even though he listens to everything he chooses to 95 % of the time listen to underground music like his own. His favorite artist is Jon Young. Jon Young is an unsigned artist out of Florida. As a matter of fact Anthony says that if he could choose just one album to listen to for the rest of his life it would be Jon Young - Not Thinkin About Tomorrow. Its more positive than his prior albums and about real life situations and circumstance.

To end my spiel I asked the 26 year old up and coming artist where he sees himself in 5 years. He didnt list anything about music, which he considers more of a hobby than a career. He instead said he would like to be in a happy marriage, which is a modern day rarity and have a bambino (italian for baby, yes he is sicilian). It genuinely seemed like having a family is important to him. He also said that he would like to have a good job in the IT field.

Now on to the fun stuff: Questions from the audience

Ashliegh G. asked :
What does he wear to bed?   gym shorts and a t-shirt usually.
Steph P. asked:
Are you a guido, like from Jersey Shore? No. Im proud to be sicilian but I dont do the things they do.
Juan V. asked:
What is his writing process? Beats or lyrics first? I get the beats first and then I rap over and over again on them until I get it right and add a melody or hook.
Does he get a lot of girls? Yes and No. I could but most times Im not interested.

LINKS

Jon Young Video

Got Rice?

DTFamous Page :) Have fun


There you have it. Have fun and your feedback is welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment